Monday, March 1, 2010

Spook Hunt - Scene 2 notes

We shot scene 2 recently, and it was a challenge to get this baby to work.


Charles gears up for the spook hunt - Canon 7D 17-55mm f/2.8 ISO 800 - all shots not color-graded

First, it is a dreaded exposition scene - in other words a scene in which I just need to give the audience some bits of info - mostly through dialogue.  Basically, the boys are gearing up for their spook hunt,  I introduce the infrared night vision camera that they are using (more on that in the next post), and we explain a bit more motivation behind why Charles wants to do this.

 
View from the Infra-Red POV cam (shot later with lights out)

 Some basic rules of exposition scenes:

1) Don't do 'em.
2) If you must do them, at least give the actors some other action to be doing while they are talking.
3) keep it short
4) Get out on a beat or a key bit of dialogue - DO NOT LINGER.


After fiddling with the scene a bit with my actors Rob & Charles, we managed to accomplish 2, 3 & 4.


Also making it tough was the challenge of shooting in a plain bedroom and trying to make it somewhat interesting.  I'm not sure we succeeded tremendously in this respect, but given our limited time constraints, and zero budget, we had to do the best we could and move on.  


Sometimes these are the hard decisions for a director - knowing when to cut your losses and not burn out your actors and crew on scenes that in the end are really not that crucial. 

Kubrick has been quoted as saying that to make a great movie, "All you need is six non-submersible units. Forget about the connections for the moment..."  What he means by this is to focus on the six or so essential core scenes in your movie that tell your narrative and your thesis.  Do your hard work in these scenes. If they are made well and hold up under scrutiny, then they will become the foundation upon which your movie is made.  Everything else is window dressing - don't blow your creative energy and budget on the window dressing.  This is where most Hollywood films get it wrong.

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the most incredible article I've read in a really long time. I hope you update this blog often because I’m anxious to read more about. waterproof bed sheet for adults , razai cover

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got so much excited to have read this excellently written and perfect article, I found it extremely enlightening and informative. Thanks for sharing. Need information on post utme past questions and answers for aksu

    ReplyDelete
  5. บา คา ร่า วอ เลทI admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. สล็อต ฝาก-ถอน true wallet ไม่มี บัญชีธนาคารNice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. บาคาร่าวอเลทPositive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include.

    ReplyDelete
  8. สล็อตทรูวอเลทExcellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. สล็อตxoThanks so much for this information. I have to let you know I concur on several of the points you make here and others may require some further review, but I can see your viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  10. เว็บสล็อตYou have a real ability for writing unique content. I like how you think and the way you represent your views in this article. I agree with your way of thinking. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. เว็บสล็อตเว็บตรงThank you for such a well written article. It’s full of insightful information and entertaining descriptions. Your point of view is the best among many.

    ReplyDelete
  12. เว็บ ตรงYes, I am entirely agreed with this article, and I just want say that this article is very helpful and enlightening. I also have some precious piece of concerned info !!!!!!Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. เกมสล็อตThanks for the blog filled with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Now my task has become as easy as ABC.

    ReplyDelete
  14. สล็อต เว็บ ตรงI am incapable of reading articles online very often, but I’m happy I did today. It is very well written, and your points are well-expressed. I request you warmly, please, don’t ever stop writing.

    ReplyDelete